Well, it has been a pretty crazy week in these parts. On Tuesday we had an earthquake, yes we live in DC, and this weekend we’re settling in for a hurricane, yes, we still live in DC.
A funny story about “The Earthquake,” a 5.9 with relatively very little damage: in my office building they were handing out ice cream sandwiches and bars as an end of summer treat. My colleague and friend, grabbed one as we evacuated the building. An ice cream sandwich just isn’t her kind of snack, she’s more of a farmer’s market girl (yea for foodie friends!), but she made me laugh when she said, “hey, I just survived an earthquake – you only live once!”
So, with that in mind – indulge this weekend, enjoy the comfort of friends, family, and home cooking, and stay safe.
If you, like me, are hungry for the weekend please, enjoy these links:
- Get comfy with homemade comfort food – goes great with movies, card games and sweats
- Be Shaken, not Stirred – classic drinks for the earthquake survivor with a sense of humor
- Get thee to a grill – if, when, you lose power having a grill on the ready will keep you eating, and happy
- Stock up the Pantry and Freezer – my mother, who has stocked up for many hurricanes, endorses these tips
- Plan for the Storm – Seriously, cut down branches, stock up on batteries, stay calm
Have a delicious and safe weekend!